The first was to "upgrade" to a stronger solution. I've been using regular Simple Green to soak my minis, and while it does a pretty good job, it wasn't as strong as I would like. Still seemed to be a lot of paint not coming off and multiple soaks required.
While I was browsing at Canadian Tire looking for alternatives, I saw this: Simple Green Max
Next step is figuring out tools to use. My old toothbrush isn't really getting the job done well enough. I've ordered an ultrasonic cleaner, and will try that. I should also look at Home Depot for a brass wire brush (looks like a toothbrush but with brass wires) which should be more effective but might be harsh on plastics.
But last night I took a 20% off coupon to Bed Bath and Beyond and bought a Waterpik. I figured it would be like a mini power washer and help remove paint from the deeper nooks and crannies and recesses.
Well. I'm not sure if I can really recommend using one. It did definitely get more of the paint off - not all of it mind you - so that's good. But holy cow, MESSY. I was using it in my laundry sink that I have installed in my painting room for purposes of quickly cleaning up my airbrushes etc. It seemed like no matter how far away I held it with my arms, what angled I used, etc....water was deflecting everywhere. I was getting soaked, my painting desk was wet...water just FLIES. It's almost awe-inspiring how far the water deflects off the models. So at first I was like "ok, that was a waste of 30 bucks", because I don't want to dress up in a rain suit to strip models. But in the car this morning I had a thought: what I might do is cut out a sort of "shield" from clear plastic packaging (like from eleectronics etc) and attach it to the spray wand. Basically like a blast shield against the back of it, so that when the water deflects, it hits that shield more and not my walls and face. We'll see, I like trying to rig up weird solutions to stuff (MacGuyver!). I'll let you know how that goes....
In the mean time, I've been working on a Rhino for the Dark Angels. I'm not super excited with how ti's turning out - it feels like one of my less impressive jobs and kinda messy. But it's a Rhino, and I'm painting this force to be really nice looking but not display perfect. One thing I really want to do is stencil on a big Dark Angels Symbol on the top hatches, but I can't seem to find any good large examples online to use. I dont think I want to try free-handing it. If anyone has any files or suggestions, let me know!